8 / 9 /2004 After the Guess (x3)

I was reading one of the previous email about the Wild Eagle exercise in 9dsmb (my attached unit in army). It sure brings back lots of memory. I guess Iwill never forget about it, judging from the fact that it make life so tough in army for the whole group of us.

This event happened around last year during the July period. The whole of S'pore, for some reason, suddenly declared that all the B' vehicle mechanic required to undergo a major mechanic repair exercise known as the Wild Eagle Exercise. The base that I was attached to, intake around 300+ vehicle to repair within the given period of time (2.5 months).

Initially, the job was given to the OJT to work on to brush up their skills. However around August, another 200+ vehicle was added into the repair list. Everywhere I walk was covered with vehicles. Then at this point of time, the management decided that the OJT are working to slow and time is a major factor issue. Thus, all the so call old bird was thrown into this exercise. The inital feeling was like been thrown into a lava pit and screaming : NOno no no!! But still it does not change the harsh reality. And thus, the exercise being with 22 of 'old bird' in it.

The first morning during the briefing, I found out that I was paired up with Turbo. My first thought was: Omg, please make him work. Well thanks the Lord, he did at least for a while before he starts to complain that he was too tired to work anymore and wanted to rest. I must say I am the kind of person that really hate people to buzz around with all forms of complains when I work. Firstly, my mood is already low when I heard that I have to repair so many vehicles and to make matter worse I got a teammate who can't work without complain every minutes. Man, am I really kind of piss. Well my solution was well if you are really tired, go up to the bunk and rest then. I'll be fine without you for the time being. After he left, I realised well it was a very big mistake to do this. One, I pretty much have to repair the all 100 over faults in my vehicle myself. Two, people saw him sleep in the bunk and even asked me where is my teammates. I was like he say he was tired, so I told him to sleep in the bunk. Soon, I guess this action was spread to the upper management. Well, I think they tick him off abit. Well to end the matter, everyone begin to isolate him throughout the exercise. I feel kind of bad because it's like suddenly he lost all his friends and trust from the upper management.

Every day by the time it reached 7pm, my brain would just switched off. I have no idea what am I doing, sometimes I would be wandering around walking aimless. Well pretty much everyone was the same I guess, no one could do anything after 7pm. We are just too exhausted. Let's see what else did happen during the exercise, hmmm...... Oh now I remembered. Stanley came up with a method of hooking the food off the vending machine and took a whole box of ice-cream from the cook house. Although he was reprimended by one of the masters, but that master himself took the ice-cream too. We were like geesh what convicing action taken. I guessed my rest of the memory for the exercise is like 8am to 10pm everyday. Repairing in the sun, the rain, the wind and the stars daily.

I would say the most stressful part was when you keep hearing the figures. It's was like the stock market where I bought alot of stock and then it almost crash. The feeling is quite scary. Although its stress and we have to work until late at night, there is of course the fun part. The exercise managed to bring a bonding to everyone. Although it was hard work, everyone was pretty joyful still. We still can talk cock and joke around during the day. After 10pm, it's the night routine of Soccer. We can play until it was closed to midnight before we washed up and rested for the day. Even though we are suppose to sleep, we often end up chatting most of the time. Those feeling is like those adventure camp.

Furthermore, we became chief during this exercise too. We cook instant noodles, fry eggs, have cold coca cola, eat orelor cookies (lots of it), then Polar bought and shared his coffee and potato chips. Oooman...just think of it makes me smile. It was quite a sweet memory. But i guess its the people who i mix with: Danny, Polar, Mingqi, Jonathan, Sieck, Ah Goh, Stanley, Roszami, Lau Pei Yong, Joker, Quack, etc. Those names who i never include please forgive me the names just ran on and on. Thank you people, without you all I don't think army or exercise can be fun or look forward in.
0 Responses